Monday, November 5, 2018

Note to my then attorney Alison February 11, 1998


Note to Alison written by Melinda Pillsbury-Foster

            As you requested, here are the details, as I can remember them, regarding the incident witty the UN-invitation to the Libertarian Convention issued this morning by Laura McFadden.  Her telephone number is (562) 428-8113.  The P.O. Box used on the flyer was, 17121, Long Beach, CA 90807.

            I called Laura on Monday night to make reservations for myself and my daughter, Dawn Pillsbury, to attend the banquet for the Libertarian Party of California.  Gene Burns, someone I have known for fifteen years, on and off, is the speaker and I thought it would be fun to go.  I did not know when I decided to attend that my estranged husband, Craig Franklin, would also be attending.
            I had made arrangements to see an old friend, Dolores White, on Sunday morning for brunch at the hotel.  I had called other friends to see if we could get together. 
            I gave Laura my credit card information, asked about the program and rang off.  Then I forgot the matter. 
            This morning I received a call on my answering machine informing me that my reservations would not be honored and that I was ‘requested’ not to attend the four day event.  I was shocked.  I had been a state officer in the LPC for six years, served as County Chairman in Los Angeles for two terms, managed many campaigns and opened and funded two different officers over the years I was active.  I had also been a candidate for 20th State Senate, receiving nearly 5% of the vote in a four way race in 1982. 
            I have many friends in the LPC and wanted to renew old friendships.  I also wanted to promote the non-profit foundation which I founded, The Women’s Institute for Individual and Political Justice.  I am presently working on a book outlining the philosophy of the organization. 
            I called an old friend, Jack Dean, who does fundraising for the National LP.  He also has done work for the Women’s Institute and is presently putting up a web page for us, domain name, Salem’s voice.  Jack said he would call around and find out what was going on. 
            A few minutes later I received a call from Mark Hinkle, presently serving as state chairman of the LPC.  He had talked to Jack.  He told me that he had been told, on good authority, that if I came I would, “disrupt the banquet.”  I would, “pass out literature,” and, “have a violent confrontation with my estranged husband.”   
            I asked him who had said this.  I pointed out that he had known me for many years and that I had never acted violently or inappropriately at any event.  In fact, I hadn’t even been rude when I had been provoked.  I asked who had made these remarks.  I said that I knew it was Michael Emerling Cloud.  He did not disagree.
            Mark and I talked.  I explained why I was coming to the convention.  He was obviously nervous.  He had been badly alarmed by someone.  I am sure that this person is Michael because Michael made some of the same remarks to my step-son, Scott, who was shocked at the suggestion of something so out of character in me. 
            Mark re-invited me.  I told him that I had no desire to talk to Craig.  That I would simply ignore his existence. 
            We said our good bys and I hung up. 
            The conversation occurred on February 11, 1998 between 11 and noon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment