Sunday, September 10, 2017

3 Exhibit 10 - Letter to Dr. Franklin on the tax crisis



March 12, 1997


To:  Dr. Franklin


From:  Melinda Pillsbury-Foster


Dear Dr. Franklin,

            I really did hope it would be unnecessary to contact you about this, but since I find it is unavoidable it is also best that I tell you as much of the story as is relevant. 
            Craig has not filed taxes, either state or federal for 25 years.  I found this just about six weeks ago.  This was a considerable shock to me since, as part of our marriage agreement he promised to file and I had taken him to the accountant I used and had paid for six years of his past returns.  I found the returns at the bottom of box nine while cleaning out his office.  You may or may not be aware that Craig simple throws every thing in boxes.  15 boxes burned in the barn fire in 1990 but those had come from North Carolina without being opened. 
            It took me four weeks working 18 hours a day to organize the stuff.  I found jury summons, traffic tickets and everything imaginable - all unopened or opened and unanswered.  It explained many things that I had been worried about for a long time. 
            Evidently, Craig’s pay has been garnished since 1987.  He simply lied to me about the extreme variation in his pay.  But, of course, he lied about lots of other things, too. 
            I spent the small inheritance from my parents, and Morgan’s, too paying debts that had piled up.  I sold family heirlooms.  I thought for a while Craig had a drinking problem or was gambling, but no, there was no evidence of that. 
            Then, last summer Craig told me that he was having an audit problem and they were levying his pay check.  This caused a lot more problems.  I was anxious and bewildered.  Craig told me he hired a law and accounting firm, but of course, he could never give them information because he wouldn’t go through the boxes. 
            After he came down with diabetes I insisted on cleaning it up.  I might have done so earlier but when I did he battered me.  
            Craig is now seeing a therapist, I hope he keeps at it but am not hopeful.  The reason I am telling you this is that I need information of the bonds you gave Craig so I can get this to the tax accountant.  I knew if I asked you would eventually find out the story and so am sparing both of us that agony.  You would have asked Craig, and he would have lied, evaded and blamed me.  I blacked out Monday and when I regained consciousness my left arm was numb.  Our physician wants me to go to the hospital but I won’t until I know that there is money to pay the bills, most especially the kids college, this mortgage, the property taxes and other bills.  All very overdue. 
            I am a believer in honesty.   It is my experience that the lack of candor between individuals causes more problems than anything else.   I have never approved of the way Craig and his siblings deal with each other or you.  You may prefer to believe that I am lying.  Therefore, I am giving you the name and number of our tax accountant, our physician and therapist.  If you want to call them, feel free.  I will ask them to answer your questions.  This is not because I think you have a right to know, you don’t.  Craig and especially I have a right to privacy and we are not asking you for a loan.  It is simply to ensure that if Craig attempts to lie to you there will be an objective means for checking.  I have nothing to hide. 
             I blacked out after talking to the Franchise Tax Board.  I thought we would be able to pay these expenses by selling the house on Burnet - but of course, they had several liens on it, which Craig had neglected to tell me.   He was in Japan last week; this week he is in Boston. 
            I convinced the IRS to drop their lien; I convinced the Franchise Tax Board to drop one more lien, but I need the 1994 tax return to get them to release the money, hence, this letter.  Now that I have told you, not everything, but enough I hope to convince you of the need to expedite the flow of information I will close. 
            I am truly sorry if this upset you.  I know it will upset Craig, but somehow am less concerned than I once was about his feelings. 

Doug Thorburn, Acountant - (818) 350-0985

Dr. Michael Marquart - (805) 966-2294

Dr. Danson  - (805) 682-1934


No comments:

Post a Comment